Sunday, August 16, 2009

Comparing Israeli system to American System

So I know I am now Israeli and have to get used to the way of life. However, like most Israeli's I know, I now get to complain about the country I live in. the first problem I have took place on Sunday.
Sunday we got to leave the kibbutz and go to our real family houses (Grandparents, siblings and other family members). The only way to get to where we wanted to go was by bus.
In America, when you want to take a bus, you wait at the station or bus stop, see what number bus you need, when it’s coming and then you’re on the bus. While on the bus, you can buy either a one day ticket or a monthly pass.
In Israel however, this is not really the case. Here, Egged, the bus company, has one major stop in Afula and in most places. The busses all come at what time they feel like. (My bus was supposed to come at 11:15 and ended up showing up at 12:30. I was also the only one going to Jerusalem and was the last one to leave the bus stop)
The second thing is that on Israeli busses, people must sit down and can’t stand up. The first bus that came to station couldn’t fit everyone who waited at the station and we were told to wait another 10 min. for a bus that could fit the rest of us who wanted to go to Jerusalem.)
The Third difference is that if you want to place things on the bus, you place them on the bottom of the bus and not near you (I got away with placing my bag and laptop case, but my clothing and stuff had to go on the bottom.)
Finally, I could only buy a round trip ticket on the bus and not a monthly pass (good thing though cause I only get off the kibbutz twice a month.)

However, once I got the whole mess sorted out and finally reached my destination, I had a pretty good weekend. It was very relaxing and I enjoyed the much needed rest.

However, today, when I had to return back to the kibbutz, the mess started again. The bus station in Jerusalem is twice as big as the one in Afula. Because of that, it is twice as hard to figure out. The bus station had only one person who was working information. Otherwise there is a board that shows which platform the bus is leaving from and at what time. The bus I wanted wasn’t there. So I had to go wait in line at the information place. (This is another different but this can be good. I have never really taken a bus in the city alone, I have done the subway and that is worst. There is really no one there to help you and often times if you don’t know where you are going, you can’t get there at all.) In Israel however, this is not the case. The information lady and mostly anyone around you are willing to help you out. This goes for soldiers or any regular person.
It wouldn’t be much fun if the ride went according to plan. Therefore, I witness my first crash in Israel. It is not something I want to repeat. Basically, a white car tried to cut off the bus so he went through three lanes on the highway and instead of slowing down, hit the guard rail and flipped. The bus stopped a few feet later and the bus driver went to check on the bus. I wanted to get off the bus and check on the car, but not knowing the Israeli laws; I decided against it and stayed put. (I hate that about American society, I was afraid I would be sued for trying to help out and since I’m knew, I wouldn’t be able to do anything.)

Once I got back to the Kibbutz, the whole Garin went to the bank to open an account. This was when I discovered another big difference in American society and Israeli’s. In America, when someone wants to open a bank account, it takes 5 min. You sign some papers and put in a password and that it. Here however, it takes 45 min. You sign so many papers with your signature, that by the time your down, your hands hurt. You also don’t get a bank card right away. I have to wait for Thursday to get mine.

The final difference I realize is how to get a drivers license. In America first you go to the dreaded place known as the DMV, wait in line for hours and then maybe, only on a good day, you get your licensee.
In Israel however, I first had to go get my eyes checked. Now I have to get a physical to make sure I’m in a healthy state to drive. Then I sign up for lessons and go for the test, which can take place only after a certain amount of practice courses, which should be some time soon.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds so intense. Hopefully you can help out next time (re: the accident and the bus.) It's good you're the one navigating all of this complex stuff; there's no way I'd be able to figure it out. ;)

    ReplyDelete