Monday, August 31, 2009

A sigh of relief

Today was our first meeting with the army.
We went to a building where everyone must go in order to find out your physical profile, your Hebrew level and also have a psychometric test.
When we first got there, we were all given cards that had our id number on them and had to be scanned at each step of the way.
My first stop was the doctor, where I was given an eye exam and also got my weight and height checked. I then had to pee in a cup to see if I had blood in my urine. From there I went into a smaller waiting room where I waited for the doctor. After a quick physical, I was given the score of 97. This is the highest score you can get and it means I am fit enough to go into any unit. The reason why I didn’t get 100 is because it is impossible to get 100. (One rumor is because we have been circumcised and girls don’t get 100s)
From there I went test #2, the Hebrew test. Here I was asked questions, such as my father’s name, mothers age, brothers name, where they were born, how old I am. Then I was given a test in Hebrew speaking. I had o describe the last movie I saw. Unable to think of anything, I quickly went to my favorite movie, the batman returns (I’ve seen it 10 times in theaters sadly) and thus told the whole plot of the movie. Then I was given a reading and writing test.
Once that was done, I went to stage 3, which was the psychometric. This is a basic IQ test, where we were given shapes and had to say how they were related, or what shape comes next in the pattern. The whole test was given on a computer and was timed.
The whole test took maybe 4 hours and brought back dreaded memories of the SATs.
After I was done with the test, I threw up my hands in cheer and ran to the city of Tevaria, which was only a 5 min. walk from where the test was given. There I proceeded to eat my heart’s content in shwarma.
By the time everyone was done with the test, it was already 6 at night and we quickly rushed back to the kibbutz, where our new phones were waiting for us.
While I’m happy the test is done and over with, there are new rules for me to follow. I am now considered army property and as such I can no longer leave Israel. I also can’t get a tattoo (sorry mom, I guess I’ll have to wait to get that tattoo you always wanted.)
I also applied for help from the army since I am a Chial Boded or lone soldier.
Hopefully it is as smooth sailing from here and there is no more stressful test :)

No comments:

Post a Comment