Thursday, August 6, 2009

New Rooms, New Family

After spending a few days at grandma's house and a long ceremony, where many different army personnel and government officials, gave long speeches about how happy and proud of us they are, it was time to say goodbye to our love ones and move to our new kibbutz.
As I said before, my Kibbutz is Kibbutz Yisre'el. It is only 10 kilometers outside Jen'in, but luckily nothing ever happens. The Kibbutz is nice and big with a pool, common eating area, 3 factories (one does robot pool cleaning, one makes the holes in the motherboards for computer chips, and one makes electric heating for floors of rooms) and living area for 500+ people.
The entire Garin group is in the back of the kibbutz, living in caravans. There are four people to a caravan, two per side, a small kitchen area and a bathroom. There is also two different hang out areas for us. One is outside and has many couches and tables to sit and smoke hookah in. The second area is an indoor area, also with couches but has a TV, wifi and a playstation 2. Luckily, since I’m living near the second hang out area, I get wifi in my room.

While my roommate is nice and a pleasure to have and the other two guys are also easy to get along with and fun to be with, the caravan is not home and I do miss my family. Even though we talk on Skype a lot and video chat, I still wish that they were here with me.
The other feeling I have is college. This living style and openness, where we can go into girls’ room, stay up late and not have many restrictions, makes me feel like I’m in college. It will be fun to see how the rest of my time here plays out.
In the morning, I have to learn the rules of the kibbutz and then I’m off to meet two commanders of one of the army brigades. Tomorrow is also Shabbat, where everyone in the kibbutz comes together and we all celebrate the day of rest.

1 comment:

  1. It sounds amazing! Hurrah free wifi in your room. And I'm sorry you miss your family...but I'm sure you're going to have an incredibly amazing time there.

    ReplyDelete